FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:04 pm
gmax58

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Originally Posted by tom911
Getting ready to check out after a very good stay here. Had breakfast in the Grand Club this morning (assortment of pastries, bagels, toast, cut pineapple and melon, muffins), which was more than adequate for me, more so because I have brunch plans at 1 (could have booked the 3A breakfast rate, but knew I didn't want to do the full breakfast as I did last time). Only about 4 tables occupied at 9:30.

I checked in right around noon yesterday and was given a room on the 11th (Gold Passport) floor. The Grand Club is on 12 across from the elevators. Wi-fi is $9.95 or $14.95 depending on speed if not included with your status.
I just got back from the Hyatt today and largely agree with the information here. A few things to add from my experience:

1. Breakfast included salmon and a variety of cereals and dried fruits in addition to the stuff mentioned above. About 6-8 people in the lounge about 9:30 AM, fewer than that on Saturday for appetizers.

2. I don't know if this has been discussed in the thread, but alcoholic beverages in the lounge are not complementary ($3 for beer and wine, $4 for liquor) and the club lounge attendant didn't have a wide variety of drinks in her arsenal (at least from briefly talking to her).

3. I wasn't able to get turndown service the other night (I tried calling the front desk, but things were pretty busy, and the person I was directed to when I went downstairs never relayed the request to housekeeping, in spite of writing my room number on the paper.) I mentioned that the front desk manager (mostly for feedback purposes, not to ask for anything), because it seemed that the hotel tried to have pretty high standards, which I respect.

4. Rooms x30-x70 can be a LENGTHY walk from the elevators and the club (in the case of the 12th floor).

5. The escalators from Metro Center to the hotel are not moving and probably won't for the rest of the month. One of them needs to be fixed and so it'll be out of commission until about May 1.

6. Diamond amenity is pretty standard but also includes an option for a wine flight. I took points as I was more interested in them, anyway.

Overall, it was definitely a great value for the BWB stay. The prevailing rates were high ($400 including taxes for that night), and I wouldn't pay that rate for it, but in my experience, if rates are competitive with the Crowne Plaza Hamilton and much lower than the Willard, it's definitely worth going back there.