FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Volcanic activity 4/15 CO flights..
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:16 pm
Mr.Nuke

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by dav373
So I am flying CO120 EWR-BCN on Thursday and this thing has me pretty worried. I thought that Spain would be safe from all of this but then they cancelled that route tonight. Do you think it makes sense to try and change my flight to Madrid? This is for vacation and all we were doing in BCN was connection to SVQ (Sevilla) which Madrid is closer to anyways. It is still 5 days away but I don't want to get stuck in EWR on standby or something.
For starters, I wouldn't read much into CO's cancellations today. Like I said on the last page, it is looking like CO jumped the gun on BCN and FCO. US, United, and Delta all have flights currently enroute to Barcelona. The airport was closed for a brief time today, but reopened.

That being said, as we've seen the past several days, depending on the volcanic activity and the winds, the situation can change. At this point, I wouldn't think about changing the reservation. Today went against what I'm about to say, but the other thing to consider here is the proximity of MAD and BCN... If the cloud ends up spreading south and affecting Spain to a greater extent, I'd be willing to wager at that point both airports will be having issues.