FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using cpap on-board flight
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2010, 8:03 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by FatManInNYC

Do those on the list you found now carry the FAA sticker?

Safe Travels!
Sorry to have truncated your post. I wanted to respond to the legal issue you raised before I forget what I researched. The sickr requirement is proposed but it's not been implemented yet. In my research I have found lots of information about POC's (portable oxygen concentrators). I have actually seen a document that lists e few POC's that have been approved by the FAA. It appears that the situation with other M PED's (medical portable electronic devices) is a in flux. It's also confusing as it states that once the manufacturer conducts a test to determine emission levels, in compliance with the RTCA document I have mentioned earlier, the carrier doesn't have to do any further testing. But., the carrier is still held accountable to ensure that any equipment operating on the aircraft is in compliance with the FAA EMC requirements as defined by RTCA. Kind of a catch 22. I plan to write to Resmed asking them what they plan to do with the compliance letter they published on the internet. It doesn't do us any good, unless the agencies involved, FAA and the air carriers are brought up to date. If the airline is to be held accountable, the airline needs at least a letter from the manufacturer, preferably backed by FAA.
A. Portable Oxygen Concentrators.
(1) Until all FAA-approved POCs have labeling that confirms to air carriers that “This
device does not exceed the maximum level of radiated radio frequency interference as described in
the current edition of Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics (RTCA) Document (DO) 160,
section 21, Category M”, air carriers are reminded that if a manufacturer tests its POC and it meets
the RTCA standard, the aircraft operator is not required to perform additional tests. However, the
aircraft operator must be able to show that the device has been tested and meets the applicable
standard, regardless of the test method used. For more information see the current edition of
Advisory Circular (AC) 91.21-1, Use of Portable Electronic Devices Aboard Aircraft at
http://rgl.faa.gov/.
Approved by: AFS-200 OPR: AFS-220
Approved by: AFS-200 OPR: AFS-220
(2) To facilitate air carriers in obtaining testing results for FAA-approved POCs, the FAA
has made available, via Web-site, the test results provided by manufacturers. This Web-site is
updated as the documents are received and may be viewed at
http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/c
abin_safety/portable_oxygen/.
(3) In order for a POC to be approved for use on aircraft by the FAA, it must be determined
that it does not contain hazardous materials (hazmat) and that it meets FAA safety requirements.
Therefore, only FAA-approved POCs, as listed in Special Federal Air Regulation (SFAR)-106, Use
of Certain Portable Oxygen Concentrator Devices on Aircraft, may be used onboard aircraft. In
addition, air carriers must meet the other requirements of SFAR 106 when FAA-approved POCs are
used on their aircraft. For more information, see SFAR-106, at 14 CFR part 121, Appendix and the
current edition of AC 120-95, Portable Oxygen Concentrators at http://rgl.faa.gov.
B. Other Respiratory Devices. All POC manufacturers are knowledgeable regarding aviation
requirements for POCs. POCs are in common use on air carriers. All currently FAA-approved
POCs meet FAA requirements for M-PEDs. However, this is not the case for other respiratory
assistive devices (ventilators, respirators and CPAP machines)
. For other devices that have not been
tested by the manufacturer to meet the emission levels in the RTCA standard, air carriers can
continue to use the current guidance in AC 91.21-1. In many situations, this requires case-by-case
testing of a particular device and a determination by the air carrier that the device can be operated
safely on their aircraft.

Recommended Action: Directors of safety, directors of operations, directors of training and
compliance resolution officials (CRO) for part 121 and 135 operators should be aware that they are
responsible for meeting applicable FAA safety requirements regarding the use of M-PEDs, while
complying with the provisions of DOT’s final rule.
Department of Transportation (DOT) Final Rule “Nondiscrimination on the Basis of
Disability in Air Travel” and the Use of Respiratory Assistive Devices on Aircraft
The first part of this document is what you had reproduced.