FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:55 am
Aluminum tubing

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Originally Posted by SAN 1K
I have a high level of respect for pilots, but I have to say that I find this excessive and, to some degree, disrespectful to passengers. Could the new business class seats have sufficed for pilot rests? (I understand why the old business seats didn't). In first class, why would the crew rest seats need to litterally be the best seats in the cabin? Why couldn't they have been middle seats, as they are for sleeping anyway? Is it really true that a first class seat (or two) is needed to eat a meal? Couldn't meals be eaten in an FA type crew seat in coach? I have to say I haven't seen this crew seat thing in F cabins (or C cabins) on other airlines (BA, LH). How do the crews eat on those flights?
Respectfully submitted,
SAN 1K
It's what their union (ALPA) and United agreed to as an acceptable seat for their meal and crew rest. It could also have to do with the curtain used for the rest as it would be easier to just cover 1 window seat like 2K on the 767. I think 1K is the best seat on the 767 as you're in your own private side.

FA don't eat their meals in our crew rest seats in Y. We eat in the galley or on our jumpseats. Some Pilots eat their meals in the cockpit but some wish to wait for their break to eat.