FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Favorite budget travel items?
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:32 am
m90291

My best recommendations is to put everything into a black roller bag for carry on. The bag I got was from walmart for less than $20. When I try to voluntarily bump myself to get free flights and upgrades I always tell them that I have only carry on and it is very helpful for this. Also a laptop bag is useless dead weight that will slow you down. I just put my laptop ontop of the clothes and put it into the black carry on roller bag thereby keeping my bag to only one bag.

Also my other budget travel item is to go to a clothing bank to get an outfit for the first day of travel. Then after I arrive and settle in after my first shower at my destination I promptly throw out this outfit thereby (which was acquired for free) freeing up precious space in my black roller bag. I also try to gather pack some older socks and/or underwear and throw these away after each use during a trip and then stock up on new socks and underwear at walmart when I get back or if I run out but a bag of new socks instead of washing the older ones.

Another cool thing which I mistakenly canceled is a Delta American Express card because it allows access for only $25 to the Delta lounge and you can take a shower there which can cut one day of hotel expense out of the total cost by sleeping on the plane or in the terminal lounge. Without this card the price is $50 for the Delta lounge so I need to get that card again because I might as well just get a hotel if I am paying them $50.

And last my favorite is from my orthodontist who I sometime go to his office just to say hi and take some of these from his bathroom where they are stored is a disposable single use toothbrush with toothpaste embedded into it. He makes all his patients brush with this before each visit but I can take a few and use them for future travel.

Another thing that is the best thing is to make sure you get you tonsils removed if you plan on alot of traveling. I got my tonsils out in my 30's and let me tell you a tonsil is a germ magnet (and provide no useful function) for the many germs floating around airports and planes so the best thing you can to is to have them removed. Also I am a guy so this may not work on girls but I started getting my hair cut very short so I do not need to carry a brush or comb anymore which cuts down on my total travel items.

Last edited by m90291; Apr 14, 2010 at 7:46 am