FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London to Singapore & Bali – SQ A380, 777, a private villa and a wedding!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 12:04 pm
matthandy

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ben Ell
Just out of curiousity, you briefly touched on the lower deck seeming a little more spacious give that its wider.
As a single traveller I'm a fan of the 2-4-2 layout much more that the 3-4-3 just because its better for both window and aisle preferring people, but is the upper deck claustrophobic or cramped in any way? Or is it just a matter of spacious vs uber-spacious?
How tall are you for the head space to be a problem?
Is there much of a flight noise difference (engines, wind roar etc) between the decks?
I'm not particularly tall, but it did seem that getting into the seat on the upper deck meant that I had to duck my head to the side before being fully seated. The upper deck certainly feels smaller. I wouldn't say that it offers any less personal space than the main deck, it just feels more cozy. It is certainly not cramped. I sat in very different places on both legs, on the way out I was upstairs right at the back, behind the engines, on the way back I was right at the front of the wings. I can't say that I noticed any noise difference but I suppose that it would be logical to say that the forward position would be quieter. However, it's such a quiet aircraft anyway it hardly makes a difference.