FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Expands NYC Service, Announces "Partnership" with JetBlue / B6 (consolidated)
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:29 pm
Globehopper

Originally Posted by martin33
yes, although completion of the stunted T8 wing past Gate 14 would push the terminal edge closer to T7, linking the two airside would still be a major pain.

Not really. As I've mentioned, a simple people mover connection will suffice, and would be not much more difficult than the original AirTrain JFK construction.

Since BA is very proud of having their very own terminal at JFK (and for that matter anywhere in the US), I doubt that they will willingly give up that terminal easily--particulary after investing so much $$$ in upgrading T7.

Another issue concerns the threat posed by DL.

DL needs new terminals at JFK; the question is where to go for "swing space" during construction?

One idea that I've heard discussed by an informed source was to try and relocate all or some of the current T4 tenants to T8, and then give over T4 to DL during the period of construction.

I doubt that AA would want to assist in that process so that DL could benefit from a new JFK terminal.

Alternatively, moving BA to AA allows DL to use T7 and T6 (if also needed) as swing space, with T7 being attractive since they have FIS facilities. Again, hard to imagine that BA would willingly go along to benefit a competitor.