FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best/quickest way to get to Machu Picchu?
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:27 am
nov11

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
I have a trip coming up in May - I will be flying into Cuzco early May 27 morning and leaving Cuzco early May 30 morning.

This will be my first time at the Cuzco/Machu Picchu area and I am not too familiar with the area. I plan on using my SPG points to stay at the Tambo del Inka (keeping my fingers crossed that's going to open on May 1 as scheduled). Will I be able to use this hotel as my base for 3 nights if it's open?

Are there any recommendations as far as itineraries go? I want to spend a day at Machu Picchu (and maybe see the sunrise), visit Agua Calientes, Ollantaytambo (if it's worth visiting) and Cuzco. I have a total of 3 nights at Cuzco-Machu Picchu area - will that be too short to explore most of the interesting attractions around there?

I managed to get a travel agent specializing in Peru tours to give me a quote for $698 USD for 4 nights hostel stay (incl. 1 night at Miraflores in Lima), train ride to Machu Picchu, tour of Machu Picchu (and entrace fee), tour to Pisac Market and Ollantaytambo Fortress, Cuzco city and ruin tour and airport transfer - is that a good deal?

Any recommendations or suggestions are welcomed! Thank you!!!