FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Charged in US Dollars instead of local currency
Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:27 am
Ilove2fly

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Charged in US Dollars instead of local currency

I am interested in your experience in having your credit card billed in US dollar instead of local currency. I am seeing this in more frequency. I found it a disturbing trend because the conversion rate by the local bank is really bad; usually equivalent to 3% conversion fee. On top of that credit card issuing company tacks on their own ForEx fees.

I am posting at this forum because it was an SPG property that charged my credit card in US dollars instead of local currency. At the spg property I specifically told the hotel I want to be charged in local currency. All receipts indicates that I am being charged in local currency. Unfortunately, my credit card was billed for US dollar. The difference for the stay is $15. It might not seem like a lot but they all add up. Besides, they lied to me. At present time, I am asking them to refund my $15.00. They are offering to give me 1000 SPG point. I am tempted to say no and just give my $15.

What is your experience? Should we as travelers tolerate this type of extra fees tacked on by foreign businesses. I don't what the SPG hotel gain by charging me in US dollars. I do know that it is the default way of settling the account by many hotels and restaurants. During my recent trip, I made the businesses cancel the charge and re-do the charge in local currency.