FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Window shade etiquette--what should I have done?
Old Oct 26, 2001, 8:21 am
one FA

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dallasflyer:
A flight attendent explained it this way to me. If the shade is down and the plane has an emergency landing, i.e. crash landing. Then a fire can melt the shade shut, thus you can't raise it to look out and see the situation. Made sense to me, if it was only true.</font>
If the fire inside the cabin melted the plastic shade you are sitting next to. I doubt very much you or the flight attendant will be leaving that plane.

It was a Eastern Airlines policy to have the window shades up and the lights bright for landing. Something thats carried over from all the people we hired from there. Its Not a FAA or American airlines rule or policy to raise the shades for landing. Besides 99% of the time they are up with people looking out.

As far as the shade up with the light pouring in. Personaly I would have asked the person to lower their shades. I think having 1 left open is reasonable. All three just rude to the people around.

I fly back and fourth to europe and South America month after month. Having a shade open may not out right disturb others. But it does keep others awake. I see it happen. We use the dark cabin to make a quiet stress free enviormnet for you all. I will be thru every 10 minutes checking on you all night. So I want you know its not about less work for me. Its making a more relaxing time for you.

Very seldom do you have a anyone in first with a window shade open. I guess mainly they choose first to sleep. Business there is always open shades. Going east or west.