FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - From my first low cost redeye to a first class trifecta - an insane fortnight
Old Mar 23, 2010, 5:59 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
LOW COST AIRLINE

Readers of my trip reports may have noticed an almost complete absence of reports of flights on low cost airlines. There is a good reason for that - I very rarely fly them. While I am happy (hmm not quite the right word, make that okay with) flying economy class from time to time, even longhaul economy, in order to save $ and remind myself how lucky I am to be mostly flying longhaul in premium cabins, I draw the line at low cost airlines.

It is not that I haven't flown low cost airlines, just not very often and certainly not for hours on end.

So with that background, it was last year when I was mulling over my (then) lack of planned travel in this period coincided with news of a new route. The schedule meant I could fairly easy do another inaugural, and extend the expiry of a stack of points by another year.

I was tempted but the stumbling block in my mind was the thought of flying several hours, followed by several more hours of a red-eye flight, on a low cost carrier, bookended by a demanding schedule. So I didn't book it straight away.

Some weeks later the route went on sale and, since I still had no travel planned for this time, that was enough for me to cave and book. Besides, I thought, just how bad could it be? I've flown far longer in economy. I've also flown plenty of red-eye flights. I've survived flights on low cost carriers before. Surely it can't be too bad? I'll get a bit of time to stretch my legs and work out the kinks following the first flight. Plenty of coffee after the second to make sure I get through 2 days with almost no sleep. That will work, wont it?

Fast forward several months. I'd been watching the continuous sale of the flights in question and seat availability. Both indicated light loads for both the flights. Still there was a nagging voice in my head saying I was very stupid for booking this and subjecting my body to this pain.