FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General Observations on a recent trip.
View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:17 pm
ajs123

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bescobar
I agree with the last post. Assuming the flights were all on one TATL itinerary , the OP should have been allowed to check 2 bags without an additional charge.

The rule as published states: "For international customers making a connection/stopover to or from the U.S., or at a later date during their travel within the U.S. on the same itinerary, international fees and rules apply."
That is also my experience from last year. I flew CDG-LAX-DEN-LAX-TXL on one ticket, AF & DL in Y, and the Denver portion was nested in the middle of this 3 month long trip. When I tried to check in at the airport kiosk, I was asked to pay for the 2nd piece of luggage, but I went to the 1st class counter and argued my way through. On the return leg the two gate agents were rather puzzled first. Then they agreed with me, but were not sure how to convince the system as well. In the end my samsonite suitcase was classified as a baby stroller , which apparently one can check in for free ...

More interestingly, I did a dozen or so segments after the my trip to Denver with DL, but on separate tickets, and whenever I wanted to check in 2 pieces of luggage, it was for free at both airport kiosks and online. The gate agents were quite startled when I dropped off my suitcases, and the system did not tell them to charge me. I found it very confusing, but obviously did not protest!