FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Newbie trying to sort out what direction I should go on
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:33 am
BearX220
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by kristen1nv
I see what you are saying about traveling in Europe on other airlines but the HUGE differences in fares are as such, $30 USD round trip vs $300 is an example. Too big of a difference for a family like ours with a not so huge income that likes to venture off for 3 day weekends to Prague, Spain, Italy etc.
Understood. There's a premium to be paid for earning the miles you want.

I forgot to mention that we booked our tickets for Dec 2010 on Lufthansa to Hawaii via SFO. That is going to go into our LH 'pot'.
There is not really any such thing as an LH "pot" because you cannot combine individual balances by transferring miles. So it's better for you to travel on DL or AA, each of you accrue 10k-12k AS miles, and then pay to transfer them into one account so they make one grand total.

I also need to check on how to get this 30k or so miles from our Capital one card to one of our accounts, if that is even an option.
It's not. Capital One No Hassle Rewards points are not transferable / combinable with other programs. Cap One is an "orphan program" and useless to you in this case.

Ok, you mentioned something about not being able to put 3 in business class on mileage--I am assuming that there are limited amounts of mileage purchased business class tix, that is why? It makes sense, there are limited in all categories. Were you suggesting 2 of is in BC and one in coach?
No, I was suggesting two different airplanes / itineraries using your two different mileage programs, you and your kid using your AS miles, your husband using your LH miles. But you can certainly try to get 2 in biz, 1 in coach on the same flights if you want, using all AS miles. Award seats are capacity-controlled in all classes.

A big reason for BC is honestly that I cannot sleep in an upright seat. I need to figure out why. I am not larger than the average bear, so that is not an issue.
OK, but thousands survive longhaul economy class travel every day and I bet you do too; Europe-Hawaii is about as long a haul as Europe-Australia, and you're doing that in coach this Christmas.

Another thing we considered is buying the whole row of 4 in coach. We did that one one of our FRA to USA flights and son and I took turns spreading out on 2 seats. I can sleep in 2 seats semi comfy. It was much cheaper than even one of us going to Business Class. Have any of you ever done that?
No.