FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American and TWA to Stop Serving Meals in the Main Cabin...
Old Sep 22, 2001, 12:53 pm
Scooterino

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by swag:
http://www.dallasnews.com/attack_on_...nes_21bus.html

Although coach passengers on Dallas/Fort Worth flights will lose meals in most cases, an exception will be flights to and from Hawaii.

Mr. Burke said the long flights are considered transcontinental service and would continue to serve meals.

American spent $770 million on food and beverage service last year, an average of $7.61 for the 86.2 million American passengers and 14.9 million travelers on American Eagle Airlines Inc. – with most of the money spent on the longer American flights.
</font>

Are you trying to say that we do not pay for the food cost as part of our ticket? If you think that, you are really kidding yourself. The airlines certainly do not price their tickets exclusive of the cost of any food served. We pay for any food served as part of the cost of our ticket, whether or not you actually see it. If AA spends an average of $8 per passenger for food, then I expect my fare to go down $8 when I do not receive food service.

AA is making a VERY bad decision by eliminating this service. As so many others have echoed, why on earth would you take away a value-added service at a time when you are trying to attract customers back to your business? This is a ludicrous business decision. I honestly do not see how they think they will save $$ by needing less FA's. Just because they are not serving the food doesn't mean that we aren't going to eat food onboard. They will still need someone to clean up and collect the trash as well as to serve beverages (unless they decide to eliminate those as well!). And at a time when so many of us are scared to get back on a plane, do they really think we'll feel better with LESS FA's????

The decisions they are making right now are very stupid and will determine whether or not they survive after this tragedy.