FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Airways miles expiring, how/when keep/reinstate them (merged)
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:58 am
askmrlee

another option

I don't know how long it takes to post a points.com transaction but assuming it's less than a week, I would just buy some miles. The 100% bonus is going on through the end of March.

I have not tried this, but another possibility is to buy a refundable ticket and use the Dividend Miles Multiplier, then refund the ticket. The price is still 2.33 cents/mile like points.com. According to the terms, you earn the Multiplier miles as soon as you pay for them (so perhaps Points.com is relatively instant too). For all I know this is all points.com anyway, so it's probably just a quick.

Watch out! Points.com is a Canadian company and they run many airline purchase/share miles programs. Therefore, your transaction may be subject to a foreign purchase fee (usually 3%) even though this is done in US dollars. So you may want to use American Express or Discover just to be on the safe side to avoid this unless you know that your Visa or MasterCard doesn't charge this.