FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA racial discrimination
View Single Post
Old Sep 28, 2001, 11:00 pm
FlyAAway

Programs: AA - Hilton
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robinhood:
How effective do you think stripping away the rights of Arab-Americans will be? How hard do you think it is for terrorists to find a generically white-looking fanatic to commit terrorist acts with? And what happens when someone like Timothy McVeigh decides he wants to use a plane this time, instead of a Ryder truck? As some others have pointed out on various boards, profiling based on race is lazy investigation.

There are plenty of methods that would be far more effective: have competent baggage screeners at airports, have air marshals on flights, profile based on clear risk factors such as where, when, and how the ticket was purchased, whether the ticket was one-way, etc. etc. Clearly, I don't have all the answers, but that's not what they pay me the big bucks for.

But how about I ask you something? When you say we should "err on the side of caution," how far to that side must we err? Do we give white passengers the right to kick off any Arab-looking passengers they don't like? Because that's been happening. Do we ban all Arab passengers from flying? Because that's been suggested. Do we force Arab-Americans (even US citizens) to carry special identification like the Nazis forced the Jews to wear special stars? Because apparently 49% of Americans think we should. When you say that discrimination and prejudice are justified, where do you stop? At what point does our disrespect for other people's rights disgust even the most bigoted of us?

The ultimate question is this: you mention that if someone decides that you and people like you are a threat, you'd be willing to be inconvenienced. But why is it that when Timothy McVeigh blew up the building in OKC, no one thought white males should be profiled? No one suggested white males be barred from renting Ryder trucks? No one suggested white males ought to have special identification? I'm not necessarily looking for an answer -- but it's something to think about, isn't it?
</font>
Where to begin? You pose a lot of questions. I don't believe I said to strip away anyone's rights, but if inconveniencing them prevents one more incident of the nature and magnitude of 9/11, then I would say it is very effective.

The generic white-male fanaticterrorist is not an impossible scenario, but likely more difficult than you might imagine. As a white male, I don't think we have the mind set to fly an aircraft into a building; I think I would flinch and go around. Timothy McVeigh chose not to be in his truck.

Competent baggage checkers? We agree on that.

How far must we err? Far enough to prevent another 7000+ deaths. Not knowing your gender, or whether you have a family, but assume you are a man with a family for the sake of discussion. Would you forfeit the life of your wife and children rather than abridge the rights of a group whose members have vowed violence against the U.S? Count me out.

Have you traveled on the Arabian Peninsula? Suppose you were considered a threat on, say, Gulf Air. Suppose an Arab, in his own land, wanted you removed from the aircraft. Do you think he would, or should, exit the aircraft instead of you?

Do we give white citizens the right to kick Arabs off the aircraft? Short answer? No. Do we provide them the right to be assured that everyone boarding the aircraft has no hostile intent? Yes! For the record, white citizens are not the only ones with concerns about folks from the Middle East.

No one thought white males should be profiled after OK City? That is a bold statement that I don't believe you could easily quantify. You are correct, it is something to think about.

I sense that you consider me prejudiced, perhaps even bigoted. Be aware that I count among my friends people from the following countries:

Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates
Kuwait
Pakistan
India
Sri Lanka
Kenya

For the record, many of them have decried the horror that was visited upon us. One of them, a Pakistani, had visited the WTC only weeks before the incident. His children said "Dad, that could have been us." He understands that things will change for us all. Again, I believe he is happier forfeiting a "right" by being singled out and inconvenienced while knowing that these actions could potentially keep him and his sons alive.

The problem was manifested on U.S. soil, but it is truly a global problem. We have already given up our "right" to worry free travel.

Once more, if I were considered a threat, based upon credible evidence, I would happily accomodate your right to proceed on your flight without me. Take me off of the flight, make absolutely certain that I have no hostile intent or the means to act on it, and put me on the next flight.

One more thing; I think precise replicas of the towers should be rebuilt.

Oh, since you mentioned it...what do they pay you the big bucks for?

[This message has been edited by FlyAAway (edited 09-28-2001).]