FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fairmont Mara Safari Club
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:29 pm
TravellinHusker

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
I booked the NFAF rate of $99 a night. As it's not possible to go for a stroll and eat at the local McDonalds for the McSafari meal, you have but one choice - eat at the hotel. The cost was $66 per person per day for all meals (excluding alcohol). I would say it was worth it. The food was well-prepared, fresh, tasty, and what an amazing variety of things. I am a picky eater, but I was not disappointed. There were a few things I wasn't willing to eat such as ostrich stew or tripe, but there was so much to choose from, I never went hungry. The game drives are extra. You pay a set fee for the drives that are $60 per person, per drive. Each drive is anywhere from 2 1/2 to 3 hours long. However one day we went on the wildebeest migration safari and that was a 10 hour drive. The cost was still $60 per person. We never skipped a drive, so we spent a fair amount of money on game drives, but I felt each drive was so unique and different that it was worth every dollar.
The flights on AirKenya to Ngerende were $245 roundtrip. It is a good, little airline. I felt safe and it was certainly comfortable for the 45 minute flight.
As for any pre-planning, I would definitely recommend flying into NBO and staying 1 night at the Fairmont Norfolk before continuing on. It's exhaustive travelling to Africa and with the change of airports necessary, it just makes sense to spend a night to gather your bearings. Breakfast the next morning was the icing on the cake. It was one of the best breakfasts I've ever had in my life. Something about the Kenyan coffee. So smooth. So rich. So full of fresh flavor.