FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Military Presence in CUN
View Single Post
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:39 pm
Weatherboy

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Military Presence in CUN

I'm vacationing in Cancun now... this is my first time to Cancun ...and my first time to Mexico so I have nothing to compare it to. But I'm a bit surprised by the significant presence the Mexican military has here.

On the way to the hotel district from the airport, there were three military "checkpoints" of sorts where the traffic was down to one lane and military personnel with semi-automatic guns drawn were hanging out in/around military vehicles. Traffic wasn't stopped (at least I didn't see any), so it wasn't a legit "checkpoint" but it was pretty impressive to see. And then once into the hotel district, there were many, many military vehicles roaming around loaded up with folks armed and in full uniform... along with local police.

Is this normal ...or is this normal for spring break time?

Speaking of spring break time, I'm surprised by the make-up of the visitors here. While part of me was expecting to see roaming crowds of drunk college types litter the streets and beaches, I'd say the number of families with small children definitely outnumber the 18-25yo crowd. Maybe it's early in the season yet...