FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Smisek says he'll cancel flights before paying fines
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:34 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by sbm12
There is a difference between an actual emergency and an arbitrary rule handed down by the Feds.
Thanks. I'm so stupid I didn't realize that difference until you pointed it out.

While not an outright emergency, humanitarian concerns are the basis of this ("arbitrary" ) rule. Planes should offload passengers at any open gate and then pushed back, if necessary, to let the next plane unload. Jefferret is just begging the FAA to add a fine for cancelling a boarded flight on the ground, unless the crew expires or legitimate weather/mechanical problems arise. And while I'm on this rant, let me add that the FAA should require all planes flying in, to or from the U.S. to have a minimum of 36" pitch between seats. Again, for humanitarian reasons. Yeah, it'll raise ticket prices 10%. Big deal. And if the FAA further requires my suggested stripper poles in the back galley, the airlines will be able to entertain passengers for those three long hours on the tarmac. ^ Again, this is purely for humanitarian reasons.