FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:12 am
puchalskir

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan
My GF and I are a young couple. We are thinking about staying here on cash and points for $150 + 8,000pts per night this spring.

I have read mixed reviews of this hotel Therefore, I am a bit uncertain about staying here. I can't tell if the hotel is beautiful, or past its prime, or both.

I understand the location is very good, but not great, and the service should be very good.

We want to stay in a central location in Rome for 4 nights of sight-seeing.
The hotel is beautiful. I stayed in 2 different sections of it and didn't really think it's past it's prime at all. The service is awesome.

The location is a minor drawback. It's very close to the Repubblica Metro stop which is nice for getting to the Vatican. To get to the Colisseum or Forum you can take the Metro and transfer to the blue line at Termini. There are a bunch of buses that go to the St. Regis, but we didn't try to figure them out.

If you are planning any day trips to Pompeii/Naples/Ercolo, the location is good because you can walk to the train station in 10 minutes.

For dinner and nightlife, you probably won't be staying in the area around the hotel, not much there. It's about a 20 minute downhill walk to Trevi, 30 minutes to the Pantheon/Piazza Navona and maybe 35-40 to Campo d'Fiori.

Every night we would take the long walk back to the hotel from these areas. It's not bad and it's safe, but the part from Trevi to the St. Regis doesn't have much to see. One short cut you can do is walk to the Spanish steps and take the metro two stops to the St. Regis.

Rich