FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What happens if you have no money for flight home
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:40 am
zoonil

Originally Posted by jennj99738
There could be a variety of reasons why the OP is away from home without money so I won't speculate.

If you're a US citizen, I would contact the nearest US embassy for assistance.

http://www.usembassy.gov/ for an A-Z list of embassies abroad.
This happened to my co-worker in 1999 while we worked together on a project in Argentina. We had to go to an unplanned meeting in the UK a week later.

My friend - a citizen of INDIA, applied for the UK embassy in Buenos Aries. and while getting back to his hotel, lost his passport and money. While I sure could lend him money, plus he worked for a top notch company, and they could wire him money right away. But he still needed his passport.

So when he went to the Indian embassy in Buenos Aries, they gave him a temporary passport (valid for one year), + he was offered a $1000 loan. He had to repay the loan with interest while he renewed his passport in his home country (the temporary passport expires in one year). His passport was stamped with a note about his loan.

He toook up the loan for back-up funds, and sure enough he was required to pay back the loan with nominal interest while renewing his passport.