FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - YOW-LHR, gov't, 2-for-1, questions
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2001, 3:18 pm
ALW

Thanks everyone!

AC*SE:

Thanks for the info on sharing the cost. I think I've got it right (beyond "can't do it"), they won't let an employee split the cost of a ticket with a non-employee, even if the net cost is cheaper (reasonable I guess, inasmuch as it avoids opportunities to manipulate). Since he doesn't have J authorization, it's a non-issue anyway, since they can get him a Y ticket for much less than half a J. I'm a little surprised that even the government would expect its employees to flight back-cabin across the Atlantic (non-stop >6:59 I'd understand, as it would restrict it to outside N.A.). Oh well.

I'm actually paying for this trip myself, I was thinking of cases where hotels give a corporate rate even for costs not paid by the corporation (OTOH, they don't insist it be billed through one agent), and wondered if I could get a "government rate" in this case (it's complicated, I won't go into it here in public, but it's not anything shady).

Since I'm paying myself, I figured I'd rather pay 80k than $5500. What about upgrading? Am I likely to get it YOW-LHR or YHZ-LHR (and back) as a Prestige? That's still $2400 extra (over $600) for a _chance_ at an upgrade. (I suspect the back-cabin fare will be more when I ticket, today is 21 days before departure and I can't book a non-refundable ticket for another few days until all details are final).

Calculating value of points is just a benefit analysis to make me feel better about blowing 80k. Conversely I guess I'm spending 80k to save a corporate-tax-deductible $5500, so the saving is a bit less. My threshhold is $0.03 per mile, so anything >$2400 is worthwhile. Thanks for the logical middle ground of full Y.

YOW-YHZ-LHR is the only thing available that day for 80k, I could check Friday as well but would prefer to fly out Saturday. It does say one stop so I guess I'm stuck with that. Can fly back direct (at least as of yesterday).

Was hoping for CP metal so I could plug in my computer. But on a redeye with a stop, trying to relax is probably a better idea. CP metal LHR-YOW though, right?

ACAvionicsGuy, the only American carrier I'd consider flying in economy is AA, due to their enhanced legroom. And I still like Air Canada for the most part, I just liked CP's financially unsustainable service better!

Empress, from AC*SE's reply it sounds like it really is 2-2-1 with no power.