FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta denies boarding based on fuzzy visa info
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:34 am
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Sounds like you screwed the pooch and delta did the right thing.
I disagree. The Delta agent screwed the OP. If the OP presented proof of onward travel out of Thailand within 30 days, there is absolutely no reason for Delta to deny him boarding. OP's return date on his round trip ticket being beyond thirty days is not an indication that the OP intends to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days.

Originally Posted by pinworm
Airines, if they bring someone in who overstays, are responsible for doing the deportation flight at their own expense, by international agreement. Delta does not want to risk a full fare deportation flight on you down the road. It's their liability, not yours. Your visa says 30 days and your reservations say 45..can you really blame them?
Reservation does not mean intent to stay. People who plan to travel to multiple destinations often by one round trip to a city in the general area and arrange their regional travel on separate tickets, sometimes after arriving at the destination. What if someone is traveling on an open ticket? Do you think an airline can deny you boarding just because you don;t have a definite date of return within the stipulated duration?

Originally Posted by ifette
I once ran into this with KE. Was departing SYD for ICN on KE in paid F (so the agents were super nice to me), and heading out the next day to NRT on a separate ticket (012 ticket). The agent kept asking (in that super-polite "i am afraid I might offend you" way) where my Korean visa was, and I couldn't understand why she was asking this, and kept telling her that I didn't have a visa. Finally dawned on me that I needed to explain that I had a separate ticket out of Korea. She took the etkt# and then proceeded to explain to me that I had to check my umbrella (the long kind, not the compact kind) due to australian security, profusely apologized, and produced this massive sporting equipment box. It was great
Most immigration or customs officers in most countries, our own country excluded, are very reasonable. They are open to understanding your situation.
I was once travelling from KUL to SIN, on land, with three swords in my baggage, not knowing I was doing anything wrong. SIN customs detected swords in my baggage and told me I could not enter Singapore as Singapore does not allow any weapons. I planned to be in Singapore for less than 24 hours since I was travelling to Singapore to catch my flight back to the U.S. the very next day. I told the customs officer that I am only transiting through Singapore. He issued me some paperwork authorising me to import the swords into Singapore temporarily with my undertaking that I would re-export them out of Singapore upon departure.
Delta screwed big time.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 5, 2010 at 9:41 pm Reason: Consolidation.