FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta denies boarding based on fuzzy visa info
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:31 am
waltinsocal

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Huh? If he could furnish proof of onward travel within 30 days to the Delta agent in Gainesville, then Delta should not have denied him boarding. He offered to provide an e-ticket to the DL agent, and the agent said it did not matter. This is incorrect from my understanding of the rules.

So I think DL screwed up.

FWIW, I had a similar issue with a connection to Buenos Aires via GRU. I don't need a visa, but my travelling companion would need a Brazilian Visa normally and did not have one. However provided you are in-
transit the same day, you can still connect through Brazil without a visa.
We provided the UA GA with the onward e-ticket information for Aerolineas Argentinas, and we were good to go.

Hard to totally agree with you on this one. Originally, apparently the OP did not have an onward purchased ticket. An "itinerary" only is not going to cut it under any circumstances. DL was within its rights to see that
the OP had shelled out the money to get out of the country witin the proper timeframe. Accordingly, DL was correct in not boarding him. The OP's position would have been much stronger if he had already purchased the onward ticket and had a copy in his hand. Besides, why hadn't the OP already purchased his onward ticket? I know he said Thai immigration can be lax but it sounds like he took a big chance by not buying that onward ticket and lost. I am sorry he lost , but you can't just show up for an international flight and count on another country's immigration people being lax. Too much is at stake. And besides, we don't know what the DL agent would have said if the OP had already purchased the onward ticket and showed that to him when he tried to checkin. My guess is if the OP had held his ground, and had politely forced the appropriate phone calls to be made, he would have been allowed to fly. Showing up without that onward ticket makes it look like you do not know what you are doing, and offering to buy it on the spot just sounds strange.

Last edited by waltinsocal; Mar 5, 2010 at 11:43 am