FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WARNING - Hertz charging for car wash
View Single Post
Old Mar 5, 2010, 4:11 am
CaptainMiles

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Thumbs down WARNING - Hertz charging for car wash

I rented a car for one day, returned it to their garage at LIS in the wee morning hours. They were still closed, so I left the keys in the box. Much to my surprise, when I review my receipt online it shows a charge of 6€ + VAT for "car wash". What???

So I called customer service to complain about this. I am told that I ws obligated to return the car in the same condition that I received it, as stated in the terms of the agreement. They say it was dirtier than when I received it, so they had to wash it. They would not budge on the charge.

For the record, I made normal use of the car. Drove it during the day on city paved roads, parked it overnight in a garage. It was not unusually dirty, in fact it was quite clean. I have received many Hertz cars dirtier than the condition I returned this one it.

Washing vehicles has always been part of the service that car rental companies provide. In hundreds of rentals over the years from Hertz and others, I have never been charged for washing a car. Has any of you been charge for a car wash?

I am mad at Hertz for this. This will cost them a lot of my business. I have fired off a formal complaint to customer service in Portugal and Oklahoma City. And if they don't reverse this charge, my next step will be a dispute of the charge on my credit card.

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Mar 5, 2010 at 5:14 am