FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PenFed Premium Travel Rewards AmEx [5x/3x/1x, $0 fee, 20K bonus]
Old Mar 3, 2010, 2:44 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbjag
Thanks for posting the additional details, iahphx! I agree regarding the oter rewards being faily useless (except the hotel and airline gft cards). A couple of questions regarding using piints on their website to book travel - does it allow you to "purchase" higher fare categories (to improve upgrade odds) or select the fare category you want (e.g., discounted ffirst class) when booking?
And what does the confirmation/receipt show as the cost - points redemption or $ value of the ticket?

Thanks!
I didn't see an option to "pick your fare bucket" when purchasing a flight. Frankly, given the simplistic nature of this program (it's certainly NOT geared toward flyertalkers!), I'd be shocked if it existed. Perhaps there's a customer service number to call? Logic would say they'd be happy to book you into a higher bucket at the same conversion rate, but I don't know if their systems are set up to allow such logic.

As I haven't actually bought a ticket yet, I don't know what the eticket actually looks like. I'm PRESUMING you get ff credit based on the fare bucket you're booked into, but we'll need confirmation on that.

BTW, I agree with you that the gift cards have SOME reasonable value in this program, but you do get a better than 50% bonus by converting your points into airline tickets over gift cards (or anything else I can find). So unless you absolutely, positively don't need an airline ticket, I would think that's the way to go as far as redemption.