FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NBC: Brokaw Feature on Gander, Newfoundland after 9/11/01
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:10 pm
blbpdsusa

Programs: usair platinum
have video, can't upload

My son and I were watching NBC Saturday when Tom Brokaw came on, and we just assumed he was gonna do one of those "peg-legged slovakian guy wins 3 golds and makes us feel even more lazy" olympic segments. But instead he launches into a 9/11 emotional haymaker, and ten minutes into the piece a bunch of artfully weaving ground zero, airliner and Gander storylines are all still building. I dove for the tivo recorder at the first commercial break, and fortunately it had enough memory to buffer backwards about 20 minutes, so we have the entire program in HD including intro. It was every bit as amazing as warranted by others above, incredible archival footage, interviews, beautifully sweeping aerial photography...a stunning 45-minute piece of journalism that's sure to win whatever awards are given for this stuff, and made even more noteworthy by the completely random timing of the broadcast itself (4:41p et). By 5:30 we were simply in shock...NOBODY can say they saw this coming, and sure enough my wife and I were approached repeatedly for dvd copies when word got out at a party later that night.

-bb

Last edited by blbpdsusa; Mar 3, 2010 at 10:33 am Reason: text update