FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - General Observations on a recent trip.
View Single Post
Old Mar 1, 2010, 4:48 am
mike turnbull

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
General Observations on a recent trip.

I am a KLM Elite Premium for life member, and a recent 6 week trip to the US with my wife has brought home to me many, in my opinion, weaknessess and frustrations with the overall program...particularly with luggage and lounges, when using partners. We flew out AF, Business Class to Miami from London via Paris....two suitcases each, so far so good. Spent a few days in Miami before going on to Puerto Rico with Delta to catch a cruise. Firstly told one bag each only, without paying extra...argued the case....cases accepted, no charge. Try to use the lounge....'This is not an international flight sir, so you can't come in'...give up arguing and leave for the coffee shop outside, (with embarrassed wife.) After cruise, leave Puerto Rico for West Palm Beach, again on Delta. 'One bag each sir,'....go through previous life history of bags and allowed on...no charge. After a couple of weeks, head for Atlanta, again on Delta. This time at West Palm Beach, absolutely no way can we get our four bags on board....'I have to charge you sir.'....special favour...cost? $50 total. By this time, my wife is so fed up and asked me just what is the point of my flashy Elite card?...and I must admit I had to ask myself why do I put myself to this bother and trouble. OK, so we were of Reward tickets...so what ? And then, when you read the inflight magazine, about how Delta and KL/AF are working closely together and sharing all revenues across the pond I just feel that if this is the overall way to treat top so called Elite members, then the experience is hardly worth the trouble. Top members should particularly not have to go through all this hassle.