FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - QF94 - LAX to HNL to SYD on 24 Feb 10
View Single Post
Old Feb 28, 2010, 4:31 am
ozgal

Programs: QF, UA, NZ,AS
Too sick to Travel....

I have had two incidents of ' Staying' or Flying while not feeling 100%.

One personal ,In June 09 I was rushed to the Hospital in Long Beach after eating at Supermex Belmont Shore with severe Food Poisioning requiring a missed Air New Zealand flight. I could have faked it and headed straight to the bathroom for most of the flight - as I desperatly had to get home after a month in LA, but was aware that I could pass along any food poisiong bug to other travellers and subcomed to the Hospital drip overnight.
The other my husband and I were sitting and relaxing in the QF Lounge in HNL September 09 and a 80+ gentleman and his wife were sitting next to us with the wife stroking her husbands head and softly speaking to him, & him responding. I was watching their lovely interaction and thinking that given his age hopeing they had the luxury of 'Business Class' for this sector. One moment he was speaking to his wife, the next he was ' Asleep'. She was quitely trying to wake him without sucess, I was unsure If I should go and get my Husband who had gone to get a coffee & has 30years medical experience association with the Fire Brigade. The Husband was 'Out Cold' at which point I suggested that we call 911.

He was eventually woken with the Paramedics administering Oxygen and sugesting he be treated at the Hospital. There were two QF Females staff members on duty at this time who had walked passed this gentleman many times (its a small lounge ) without seeing what was taking place, or observing the situation (given both the passengers ages). The gentleman was a Diabetic, and hopefully was able to travel back to Au at some stage,but had he been on the flight to Sydney this evening, my husband fears that he may not have 'made it' .!