FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Auckland {NZL}
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:10 pm
777 global mile hound
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by JerseySlime

I was given the continental breakfast in White for free and was given two complimentary waters each day. I was also presented with a bottle of wine in my room because of the upgrade that wasn't to be.

I noticed no mold in my room, especially the bathroom. Between regular housekeeping and the evening turn-down service, the room was always immaculate. Having stayed there twice before (the last being four years ago), I noticed the touch-sensitive minibar was gone and replaced with a decent size fridge with all of your normal minibar stuff inside. The front desk told when me, after I asked, that it would be no problem removing (not consuming, just removing) something out of the fridge in order to make room for something I bought and wanted kept cold.

My previous stays resulted in upgrades to the harbor side. I'm guessing since the hotel was soldout and some rooms were out of service, upgrades were not available. Anyone upgraded to a Bow Suite must have been there during a slower period where those rooms were not sold. The rules for upgrades usually preclude upgrade to suites. Anyone who ever got a Bow Suite and the breakfast should consider themselves extremely lucky.
Appreciate you sharing your experience.
Keep in mind that any time one requests or books twin bedded rooms the chances of a great upgrade diminishes substantially in my own experience

Regarding mold it is a serious issue with any building that has experienced any kind of water or moisture damage/entry.You typically can not see mold it grows under floors and in walls.From there it can get into a ventilation system or in the air of a guest room/building.It is not the surface kind of minor mold that one sees growing in between the cracks of grouting and seen on the surface.Every year it causes deaths due to exposure and shortens lives airborne and invisible.
I am no expert but I had it in my house after flooding from a next door neighbors home and was very fortunate to have an insistent friend who argued with the recovery team and insurance company to open up my living room walls and yes there it was rows of it.........Was shocked as you could see nothing in the room.My floors were moisture damaged too and had been to be replaced yet there again looked fine visually.

I would rather stay in a hotel cleaned up after a bed bug infestation which is more easily seen by professionals then be exposed to a water damaged property.Most companies don't do extensive searches for mold becuase it is a costly search and nobody wants to pay typically........
Once it is dry and they do their testing frequently they just hope for the best and move on
For further info google if interested.I only became interested after having the problem
In a word more scary then it looks from the surface