FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Unbiased explanation of DL AMEX Reserve???
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:34 pm
mooper

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dollerman73
Outside of some free booze before take off, what does this card really offer for $450 a year? Go easy on me please, I am not trying to rip the Reserve card, I'd pony up if I knew exactly what I was getting in return.

P.S. I am not looking at having the marketing blurbs AMEX puts out regurgitated here. I know about the MQM bonuses for sign up and spending, outside of the obvious, any tangible benefits?
I'm not sure if you were implying that you already understand these perks too, and if so, forgive me.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you spend $60K on the nose, apart from the MQMs you already know about, you are effectively earning 1.5 RDMs per dollar spent. That is excluding the signup bonus and double miles on Delta spending. This results from the 30K RDM bonus that kicks in along with the 30K MQMs. If you value those RDMs at 1.5 CPM, you're already even on your annual fee. There's also the companion certificate (essentially buy one get one free, coach or first) and the various fee waivers that might be worth a lot to you (see third column, here).