FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Auckland {NZL}
View Single Post
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:50 pm
JerseySlime

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I agree you beat me to posting.However there are other programs without a major devaluation that do it all.Glad to see Swiss Global was taken care of
Wonder how others are faring and if is any indicator the property is working harder to exceed expectations.As a Diamond paying for two rooms I received
the basic harbor view room some time ago.
I just stayed at the Auckland Hilton 19-23 Feb on an award stay. Noticed the tarps and the work being done on the harbor side of the hotel, the side where the cruise ships come in. Looked like the Bow Suites were unaffected but those Deluxe Harbour Rooms were the ones being worked on. I am a Diamond VIP. I did not receive an upgraded room. I had two twin beds on the pool/parking side of the hotel. I had noticed that about 5-6 days prior to arrival that no King rooms were being offered for sale on the website. I'm guessing the hotel was offering the remaining King rooms for sale and changing those who had King rooms reserved for an award stay to Twin rooms. I did not ask when the renovation work was going to be completed.

I was given the continental breakfast in White for free and was given two complimentary waters each day. I was also presented with a bottle of wine in my room because of the upgrade that wasn't to be.

My MyWay selection was the room upgrade so I would get the upgrade and/or the breakfast. I paid for the one hour of internet (NZD14.50). Anything over one hour is charged the 24 hour rate of NZD29.00. Parking at the Hilton is valet only at NZD30.00/day.

I noticed no mold in my room, especially the bathroom. Between regular housekeeping and the evening turn-down service, the room was always immaculate. Having stayed there twice before (the last being four years ago), I noticed the touch-sensitive minibar was gone and replaced with a decent size fridge with all of your normal minibar stuff inside. The front desk told when me, after I asked, that it would be no problem removing (not consuming, just removing) something out of the fridge in order to make room for something I bought and wanted kept cold.

My previous stays resulted in upgrades to the harbor side. I'm guessing since the hotel was soldout and some rooms were out of service, upgrades were not available. Anyone upgraded to a Bow Suite must have been there during a slower period where those rooms were not sold. The rules for upgrades usually preclude upgrade to suites. Anyone who ever got a Bow Suite and the breakfast should consider themselves extremely lucky.