FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Benefit for Platinum Members of SPG (free internet)
Old Feb 22, 2010, 1:21 pm
sc flier

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by WestLA-FF
However, this makes "Resort Fees" that include HSIA all the more difficult to swallaw. I semi-justified the resort fees in my mind by factoring in a nightly cost of HSIA, but with HSIA now a PLT benefit, mandatory $15-$25/night fees for "free local & 800 number calls", "in room coffee", "daily newspaper", and "daily use of fitness center" (all from Westin Diplomat web) are way too high.

And if these fees are mandatory, why don't the resorts just roll that fee into the nightly rate?
I was thinking the same thing, but I've spoken against these fees plenty before now.

At the Sheraton Carlsbad...
"Each room offers high speed wireless internet, weekday delivery of USA Today, Free Local Call and Fax Services and Starbucks coffee, (included in our daily $12 resort fee)."

Broken down...
high speed wireless internet (now becoming a Plat benefit)
weekday delivery of USA Today (already a Plat benefit)
Free Local Call and Fax Services (I really don't care.)
Starbucks coffee (I don't drink coffee.)

Why don't they just waive resort fees for Plats as part of this new incentive, give an appropriately reduced price for the HSIA portion, or let them choose the other add-on features (parking, "free" calls, etc.) for reasonable and optional a la carte costs?

snufl, a bunch of Golds and non-elites might still be happy to have your lists.