FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 9/11 Experiences
View Single Post
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:50 pm
WChou

I was just out of college but worked for a large Global 1000. I was based in their North American sales office in Boston and we always had a a large number of people on the road. The first few hours were anxious as no one knew what was going on. By the end of the day, everyone was accounted for and safely on the ground. Sadly, a friend at another company lost quite a few people that day. Soon, the word from corporate was to get home no matter the cost. Within 3 days, everyone made it back.

In an effort that made Planes, Trains, and Automobiles look like a drive to the supermarket, people got on just about every mode of transportation. With Logan closed until Sept 15th, people were getting as close as they could by plane and then got creative. Some people managed to hop trains and leapfrog across the country. Quite a few "Rode the Dog" AKA taking the Greyhound Bus. Others rented anything with wheels, a seat, and a engine. A couple of people got Ryder box trucks and others got UHaul vans. One person got himself in a Corvette, a few got Jags, and we even saw a Mercedes sedan. They were a contrast to the Geo Metros, Chevy Cavaliers, and other econoboxes. Three unlucky people had a little tiny Mitsubishi Eclipse which they drove all the way from Texas. Another person was driven up from Philly by his sister in law.

We gathered as many vehicles as we could in the parking lot and snapped a picture. The variety of vehicles was stunning. I need to dig up the photo.