FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Zurich, Switzerland
Old Feb 16, 2010, 1:03 am
littlevoices

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
How far is the marriott from the lake? is it in the 'old part' of the city, or is Zurich pretty much all a modern city?

For 2 people, is the train from the airport, then taxi to marriott - is this really much less expensive than a taxi all the way?

Thanks for any info
Its about a 15minute stroll from the Marriot to the lake, and you walk along the riverbank so its nice - even nicer if the weather is good. The Marriott is in a kind of modern area but there are older buildings around as well - I suspect by 'older' you mean the very pleasant buildings right on the lake front (for the most part, though they are scattered all over the city) - the Marriott itself is a modern building, though looking across the river you can see the Swiss national museum (old building)

I think the train is still likely to be cheaper, its been a while ago but it cost me ~50CHF in a taxi to get from the airport to city centre (in 2008), the train is about 10CHF per person - you might also find it easier to get a Zurichcard (24/72 hours of free public transport plus some museum entries) which I think was 38CHF for 72 hours (This was in January this year). I'd recommend the train as its easy, quick, clean, efficient and means you get to see the train station - and the walk from the train station to the Marriott is only 5-10mins and along the riverbank so that means its also a pleasant walk. Plus, Switzerland is all about the punctual public transport - see how the pros do it (I'm British, we officially class our trains as 'on time' if they arrive within about 10-15minutes of their specified arrival time, the Swiss appear to do it based on arriving within about 30seconds of their specified time).