FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - An annoyance: protection for likely CO misconnects
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:09 pm
redtailshark
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by channa
Though clearly there are still some mechanics that have to be worked out, it's refreshing to see that CO seems to be coming around w.r.t. OAL rebookings, at least within the alliance.

Seems they protected you on UAL, and were willing to do SQ or TG, and didn't balk or give you rubbish about fare class or the usual myriad of excuses that we've become accustomed to hearing from CO.

If this is the case with others as well, maybe they're finally starting to get it.
channa, yes.

Now in SIN in good time for my business ^

The good: they did successfully reroute me, same day, preserving sched, on a (good) Star carrier. In an exit row.

The not-so great: this depended on a. my declining the original system auto-protect option and b. the effort and good graces of the PC agents, walking to D terminal check in to negotiate in person with the SQ handling agents (actually Menzies contractors, probably necessitating the calls three levels up to reissue). Also, the fact I had three hours in hand before SQ launched really helped me out. Less than two would have been very problematic with this high-friction reissue.

And I should have known the StarA US-Asia schedule better and I could have been more effectively proactive with my suggestions. I used to know all my NW/AF/KL options well, but I've only recently moved over fully to Star and I couldn't bring them to mind at the counter.

Now, for the really amazing thing: my bags were waiting for me at SQ SIN luggage! They routed to NRT, were pulled, and sent directly to SIN on UA that night. To my astonishment, given my original itin that included a GUM switchback, they were there when I arrived to file a missing luggage claim at Changi T3 early this morning.

We've all been critical with good reason of CO irops handling in the past but on the whole I must say this was done well - once I politely but firmly declined the systems auto protect "option" of forcing me to overnight at LAX.

Take home for OPE: know your Star options for same-day Asia departures, and don't accept the system auto-protect options that cost a whole day on short itins. And no baloney from

I do wonder what would have happened if I wasn't a PC member. I deliberately chose to initiate this at the PC, figuring I'd have better luck than downstairs at the Service Center or even on the Elite line.

Edit: sorry guys, this was originally an E class revenue coach ticket.

Last edited by redtailshark; Feb 15, 2010 at 7:10 pm Reason: Respond to questions