FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kevin Smith (Silent Bob) and Customer of Size policy
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:46 pm
expert7700

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I am not a COS ,but I feel the reimbursement policy is slightly unfair. SW says they issue refunds ~99% of the time because flights did not go out full+denied boarding to standbys. Yet to the infrequent traveller it can be a craps shoot with a 1-in-100 shot of getting stuck with NO refund at all. Anyone who believes 1 in 100 is nothing to worry about must not buy any daily number , lottery tickets, or play a slot machine.

Scenario 1: the policy results in me paying DOUBLE my planned budget/the southwest advertised price for the year, because I flew one round trip at $799 and had to buy a 2nd ticket at $799 which did not get refunded. Result: bad experience, I'll bash WN for being overpriced etc.

Scenario 2: as a freqent flyer, the policy costs me only 1% extra on top of my planned travel budget for the year, I flew 100 roundtrips at $799 each, and got all but one refunded.

My suggestion is that it's much more fair to issue COS passengers a 97-99% refund based on the OVERALL (quarterly, monthly etc) full+overook rate, that way they always get the blended average. Southwest ends up with the same $$ kept vs refunded in that case, and customers are treated a whole lot better without losing out for booking a full flight, and worrying if they will get a refund.

I feel a guaranteed refund in the 97-99% range is much more fair than a roll the dice and 1-3 times out of 100 come up completely empty handed.

COS passengers will feel good that SW is in effect sellling them their 2nd seat via mail-in-rebate for only a few dollars per trip. The mail-in-rebate helps result in breakage (AND since it requires a passenger fronting the $ for travel, it Helps a bit in detering abuse). The breakage could be used for either a higher refund % for passengers or a higher profit for WN. WN could sell advertising space on a flyer mailed with the reimbursement checks too. (likely rental cars, hotel offers, etc.

WN should also have a 'special seating needs' poster or handout, which points out needs for preboard, boarding with pets, and when to buy a 2nd seat (travelling with large instrument or COS). They could present this at the time of booking--there is already a spot for allergy info, assistance animal, etc why not put a link "do I need a 2nd seat? which when you mouse-over or click gives pointers on if they need to purchase a 2nd seat because the named passenger cannot comfortably sit in one seat with the armwrests down without encoraching at all into the space of the second seat.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 15, 2010 at 1:07 pm