FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using my US iphone in UK but not for calls...
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:19 pm
weekilter

Originally Posted by mcubed
Hi all -

I use my iphone for everything. I access my contacts, public transport info, documents plus use various apps some of which I had similar to ones I had on my Palm Pilot years ago which proved to be very useful on trips to London.

Anyway, using my iphone for calls in London is prohibitively expensive, so I have a cheap UK PAYG phone I use for that. Jailbreaking my phone is not an option I want to entertain but I would like to use some of the apps on my phone when in the UK.

What I would like clarification on is this:

If I have my phone in "airplane mode" (as in little orange plane icon is visible on the screen) I will not incur roaming charges of any kind.

If that is true, can I access WiFi spots and use my apps that can operate on WiFi alone, even if they need me to turn on "location services" and STILL not incur a charge even if "location services" is enabled?

I basically want to use my iphone like an itouch and just want to be sure I'm not going to incur any surprise! charges when I get home. A friend was given misinformation by an AT&T rep *shock* and came home to an $850 phone bill for one week (no joke).

I really appreciate any feedback on this issue. It is very much appreciated so thanks in advance!
Simple. Press the home button. Press settings. Press on for airplane mode. If you go to WiFi settings you'll see it will be off. Simply press on for WiFi. Your phone is still in airplane mode, but it can now access WiFi networks. You'd use this if the aircraft you were in had airborne WiFi available. It shuts off cellular networks, but lets you use available WiFi networks.