FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using my US iphone in UK but not for calls...
Old Feb 14, 2010, 5:30 pm
mcubed

Using my US iphone in UK but not for calls...

Hi all -

I use my iphone for everything. I access my contacts, public transport info, documents plus use various apps some of which I had similar to ones I had on my Palm Pilot years ago which proved to be very useful on trips to London.

Anyway, using my iphone for calls in London is prohibitively expensive, so I have a cheap UK PAYG phone I use for that. Jailbreaking my phone is not an option I want to entertain but I would like to use some of the apps on my phone when in the UK.

What I would like clarification on is this:

If I have my phone in "airplane mode" (as in little orange plane icon is visible on the screen) I will not incur roaming charges of any kind.

If that is true, can I access WiFi spots and use my apps that can operate on WiFi alone, even if they need me to turn on "location services" and STILL not incur a charge even if "location services" is enabled?

I basically want to use my iphone like an itouch and just want to be sure I'm not going to incur any surprise! charges when I get home. A friend was given misinformation by an AT&T rep *shock* and came home to an $850 phone bill for one week (no joke).

I really appreciate any feedback on this issue. It is very much appreciated so thanks in advance!