FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA put us on BA then arrived very late
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2010, 11:04 pm
naumank

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fastair
Oh, I accepted blame for the delay up to a point, and assessed blame beyond that outside of UA control to the company responsible for that part. Don't know how that is passing the buck. How could UA control the part that happened on another carrier as UA effectively (and contractually per the CoC) was only acting as an agent for them. Again, When one buys a ticket from an agent, they buy from them. Once a carrier accepts that ticket from the agent, they become their customer.

I guess the passenger could have not accepted the arrangement UA made with BA, and then could place a 24 hour blame on UA, but they didn't, they accepted UA's "outsourcing" of that segment. Hardly anything UA could do about it from that point. In fact, If BA had then had a cnclation for a mechanical, who do you think would have bought the room? Would BA say "All passenger's whose reservations and tickets are on us, but were bought on someone else, please return to that carrier. We ill take their money, and their passenger's but we won't take any of the risks involved." If the plane went down (god forbid, but it is an example) Would they say 150 souls onboard that bought tickets on us first hand, plus a few stragglers from other carriers? Would BA not pay the families of the survivors, but push that over to UA? That isn't the way things work. A carrier is responsible for travel on it's own metal, with a few minor exceptions for code sharing. Last I saw, UA does not code share, and therefore, (again, per the CoC) acts ONLY as an agent for the other carrier.
Your signature says not to read into what didn't write but what I read is that the OP should not blame UA and therefore he's not entitled to any compensation from UA. Your logic is very confusing, to be honest.