FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Miles for Rent/Mortgage/Tuition? [Consolidated]
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:05 pm
Ritz

Originally Posted by ChargeSmartPhilip

Regarding the distinction of "fee" vs. "deposit" (that would presumably be returned) the large payment security fee is a fee. Just as insurance premiums aren't returned, nor is this.

We are aware that fees are the primary reason that someone elects to not make a payment with us, and are making every effort to reduce our fees in time...but unfortunately that's not the case...
LOL. Well you had me up until that clarification. Passing your chargeback issues onto your customers is ridiculous. And since you don't accept Amex, which explained on YOUR OWN SITE, is the primary chargeback offender against you (initiated from the cardholder, of course), you explanation doesn't hold water. At least not to me. I was ready to throw 2 mortgages and 3 vehicles worth of payments your way, totaling over $11K/month...and I was willing to forego using my Amex Cent card to make said payments since you don't accept Amex, and put it on my CitiAAPreferred Mastercard. BUT charging your service fee as a fee - and then imposing a 2nd much shadier, uncalled for, deceptively titled, and improperly imposed fee on your customer makes me not want to do business with ChargeSmart. Further, I'm going to have to advise my longtime FT friends, not to mention my miles/points obsessed clients, family and friends to avoid your service as well.

You see, even if the 2nd "security" fee was a dollar, that would be $1 too much, since you're already imposing your business service fee to begin with. I'd rather you raise that fee and make it all inclusive - but to charge that 2nd ridiculous fee and institute an even more ludicirous method of calculation based on the "amount of payments processed to that company" in any given month borders on hilarity - if for no other reason then you can't see how many potential customers you're actually alienating with it.

I was actually one of the first on FT to push the concept of Card-It back in the day, but Phillip, this 2nd fee for ChargeSmart is just absolutely ill-conceived, now that you've "fully" explained it.