FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ticket Change/Reissue Policy Adjustment
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:01 pm
Seattlenerd

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by baliktad
I noticed this in my mileage plan statement today:

"For tickets purchased on or after February 24, 2010, any changes to the itinerary will be processed differently. When making a change to a ticket, only the segment that is being changed will be re-priced. The new segment will be priced at the lowest qualifying fare at the time of the change. This may result in a lower or higher difference in fare. As a reminder, for same day travel, you can change to an earlier or later flight and get a confirmed seat for a flat fee of just $25"

This is a little confusing to me, because that's how I thought it already worked. What were the rules before? Is this good or bad for me?
I'm trying to figure that out as well. In the (perhaps distant) past, if you purchased a RT ticket and wanted to change the return after you'd flown the outbound, there was no additional fare as long as the same fare class was available. That wasn't necessarily the same as the identical dollar fare being available.

So I can see where this might cost me more if the segment is being treated as a one-way ticket and it's based on dollar amount for the lowest currently available fare, not identical fare class. It's not the "treating it as a one-way ticket" part that's likely to bite or benefit one, since all AS RTs are effectively two one-way tickets bundled together in terms of schedule and pricing. But, if this is a switch from fare class equivalence to dollar fare, it might. And it could work both ways, depending on demand and how close to the flight date one is when one makes the change.

Anyone with a knowledge of ticketing have any insight?