FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase BA Companion Ticket $30,000 Spend
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:59 am
mhbaker

On 10-22-09 ba.com helper posted: "We are pleased to let you know that BA and Chase will reward loyal card members with a redemption voucher for a companion ticket on 2009 spend even though the new benefits take effect on November 12, 2009. Keep this in mind when doing your holiday shopping especially if you're close to $30,000 for this calendar year." On 12-9-09 I copied, from the BA website, the terms and conditions of the offer which did not restrict the offer to 2010 spending. Given these facts, I pushed enough of my 2010 spending into 2009 to meet the $30,000 requirement. Interestingly, I recently received a promotional mailing regarding this offer. The mailing has a return address listing British Airways but with the address for Chase. The mailing touts the "upgraded benefits" of the BA Visa card, including the Redeem for 1, Travel for 2 certificate. There is nothing in the mailing which excludes 2009 spending. However, it does refer you to ba.com/Redeemfor1Travelfor 2 and this site states "New British Airways Visa Card Reward Begins January 1, 2010." This conflicts with the earlier representations of BA and Chase that the benefit actually began in November 2009. One thing is clear. BA explicitly represented that the benefit would be extended for 2009 spending and, in fact, encouraged cardholders to meet the $30,000 limit in 2009. Whatever Chase's position may be, I expect BA to honor this benefit for 2009 spending and given it's representations, I find it impossible to believe they could do otherwise. As to the other question, it is clear that charges made in 2009 qualify as 2009 spending even though appearing on a 2010 statement. When Chase sends the end-of-the-year summary, all such charges appear as 2009 spending. In conclusion, I would put no faith in anything Chase has to say on this issue because in my previous conversations with Chase representatives, I have found them to be singularly ignorant on the most basic of questions regarding the card, its benefits, and the card's terms and conditions. Again, I expect BA to live up to its representations regardless of the position taken by Chase.

Last edited by mhbaker; Feb 10, 2010 at 12:13 pm