FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2 days in Lima - Suggestions?
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:17 pm
mikelat

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by D1andonlyDman
I was just wondering if the OP is still going on their trip - they mentioned that they would be in Lima for 2 days as part of a larger trip. Most folks do Lima as a stopover to Cusco and Machu Picchu - but there has been dreadful flooding in this area, and in fact, the railroads to Aguas Calientes / Machu Picchu have been washed away. Estimates are that it will be at least 2-3 months before they are fixed.

And that's pretty much the only way into the Sacred valley to get to Machu Picchu. So, NOBODY is going to Maccu Picchu in the next couple of months at least. Cusco has also seen significant flooding, although nowhere near as bad as the area just below Machu Picchu.
I actually just got back from the trip. I was not planning to go to Machu Picchu on this trip but I am in June. I'm pretty hopeful the lines will be fixed by then.

Thanks all for the tips. I did go to the San Francisco church and see all the bones arranged. Kinda surreal there. I also managed to get to one of the Huaca sites but the name is escaping me now.

Although I'm not much of a fish person I did make sure to try some cebecherias. I really enjoyed La Mar.

Larco Mar shopping center was surprsing to me with having a Tony Romas and a Chilis. Wouldn't expect those to be popular there. Maybe it was all tourists eating there.

The parasailing was 150Soles for 10-15 minutes. Definitely didn't seem worth it to me. Entertaining to watch though.

All in all, a decent trip. I didn't eat any alpaca but I did get some scarves & blankets for friends.