FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tales From The Troposphere ~ Random Thoughts & Observations on 3 Weeks of Air Travel
Old Feb 9, 2010, 7:01 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
January 25, 2010
Alaska Airlines Portland – Boston 725a – 337p 737-800 Economy Class
Delta Airlines Boston – Orlando DC-9-80 650p – 1018p Economy Class

One thing about doing mega mileage runs – it’s important to take a break every few days. Even a guy like me who actually enjoys the entire flight experience from airport lounges to inflight scenery still needs to stop and recharge with proper sleep and a couple of days off. It’s also a good opportunity to do laundry. So when I reported to Alaska’s counter this morning, I was more than ready to continue on with another block of seventeen flights around the country.

When I’d booked these Delta tickets from Portland to Orlando via Boston, I’d done so in the hope that I’d be able to enjoy an upgrade or two on Alaska’s transcon flight across to Boston. Unfortunately for me, Alaska’s morning nonstop to Boston appears to be quite popular and as such attracts an abundance of MVP Golds . Even checking in almost two hours early at 5:30am placed me no higher than fifth on the upgrade waitlist.

Thankfully, I had pre-booked a spacious exit row seat. Unfortunately, by the time the food and beverage cart made it back to row 15, all of the hot breakfasts had already been spoken for. The flight attendant apologized and explained that there had been an unusually large run on the $6.00 scrambled egg breakfast and could she offer me a snack pack instead?

Well let me tell you, those snack packs are fine for kids and junk food junkies but on a five hour transcontinental flight they leave a lot to be desired. I realize that the amount of meals loaded is an educated guess at best and that there’s always a risk of leftover meals and lost revenue from them, but on a five hour flight departing at 7:25am, I should think the odds are pretty good that a large number of passengers are going to want a more filling hot meal than a collection of single serving snack items. Then again, I could be wrong since many people don’t like to eat breakfast. This despite it having been a long established fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In any event, there wasn’t much I could do but swallow my frustration along with my cheese dip, crackers and salami. Next time I’m on one of Alaska’s morning flights offering breakfast for sale, I’ll make sure I buy something in advance at the airport unless I’m seated in the forward part of the main cabin.

Here’s a thought for Alaska: In addition to a hot choice, how about offering some of those prepackaged bowls of cold cereal or oatmeal? Better yet, consider offering hot meals for sale in advance on the internet. Many foreign airlines already do this. Keep it simple, with no refund if you miss or change your flight at the last minute.

As I disembarked in rainy Boston, I grabbed a copy of the First Class menu. Here’s what was served up front:

BREAKFAST

To Start

Fresh Seasonal Fruit Bowl
Warm Fresh Pastries

Choice of Entrees

Sun-Dried Tomato Quiche
Turkey Sausage

Or

Northwest Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon
Steamed Asparagus

Strong headwinds made for a long flight down to Orlando. It took our MD-88 three hours and thirty one minutes to cover the 1,121 mile flight. That translates to an average speed of 320mph, right up there with modern day propeller aircraft such as the Dash 8, which is actually rated at over 400 mph but against a headwind, maybe a bit less.

January 26, 2010
Northwest Airlines Orlando – Detroit 815a – 1103a 757-200 Economy Class
Northwest Airlines Detroit – Los Angeles 330p – 545p A320-200 Economy Class
Alaska Airlines Los Angeles – Portland 900p – 1124p 737-800 First Class

Orlando International may be my favorite airport to sleep in. Downstairs on Level One are a couple of large lounge areas where at night the lights are dimmed, the music is turned off and the annoying TSA announcements are nonexistent. I caught a solid six hours of uninterrupted sleep and showed up at the Sky Club feeling downright chipper. Hot coffee and a pastry served to enhance my sense of well being, and my spacious exit row aisle seat on the packed 757 up to Detroit rounded out a great start to the day.

It was snowing lightly as we parked at gate A10. I caught the Sky Train down to the opposite end of the terminal and stopped in the World Club to while away the next hour. And while away I did, emerging from the Club at 12:05pm to head down to my 12:30pm flight to Los Angeles. There was however one large problem: The flight was scheduled to leave at 12:10pm, which was just about the time I arrived at the gate. The jetway door had been closed and the jetway was just preparing to retract from the aircraft.

For some odd reason I’d gotten it in my head that this flight departed at 12:30pm. It just seemed right somehow. Unfortunately it was wrong. In any event, once that jetway starts its journey back from the aircraft you’re well and truly out of luck. In situations like this, especially those that I may have precipitated, I’m not one to wheedle and plead. I know the score and so I’ve already moved on to damage control. I explained what had happened to the gate agents, who were quite sympathetic and helpful, even thanking me for not giving them a rasher of BS as to why I missed the flight. They relayed to me that it’s not at all unusual for people to come up with all kinds of excuses as to why they couldn’t get to the gate on time, up to and including screaming at the agents as if it were their fault. Normally, the tardy passengers are placed on standby for the next available flight. In my case however, I was reconfirmed on the 3:30pm flight to LA connecting to the 9:00pm departure up to Portland. Both agents explained that they appreciated my honesty and thanked me for my patience. Actually it was I who should have thanked them for their patience and extra effort and so indeed I did. If there’s a moral to this tale, it’s that it pays to be honest and nice, especially to airline employees.

By the way, I don’t mean to paint myself as Goody Two Shoes here, and certainly those of you who’ve read my posts over at the Alaska Airlines forum may not think I’m very nice at all. Last year I actually flamed a fellow poster over what, I can’t remember exactly. Something about not getting an upgrade on Alaska and possibly taking his business elsewhere. Either way my response was out of line and okay, so I was under the influence of post surgical drugs but still… I wasn’t that stoned. Not nice. And I’m a real hard liner to people who failed to qualify for the elite level in whatever frequent flyer program they’re in and then go and post threads hoping for or worse, expecting the airline to offer them a chance to regain their status for cheap. Most of these people whining about their lack of status in December should have had a real good clue by October that they might not or definitely would not make status, at which time they could have easily addressed their mileage shortfall over any of the next twelve weekends with a mileage run or two. Oh No! Not a mileage run! Yes, a mileage run. Just do it!

And then there are these trip reports I write – who knows how many people I’ve offended and/or bored to tears with endless tales of getting there as opposed to being there. When I have written about being there, it’s often an account of a hostel or some other budget accommodation, not the Starwoods and Hiltons that most FlyerTalkers know and love. Some of my trip reports, like this one, have an inordinate amount of focus on flights in Economy Class. As well, the vast majority of my reports are simply too long for some readers to remain focused. (So you veteran readers of my reports are truly extraordinary!) Why, I’ve been known to devote two or three pages and well over 1500 words just to describe a single flight in International First Class. Of course for this I am totally unrepentant, but still, many of our more recent trip reporters will announce their reports weeks in advance to build excitement (and get ego stroking pre-report pats on the back!) and then they're able to accomplish the same flight description in a single paragraph (or a collection of pictures) and don’t take up valuable space with lengthy menu transcripts or descriptions of the cabin layout. It's really quite amazing and seems to be the preferred style these days. Ah well, it's said a picture is worth a thousand words (except for the blurry ones) so maybe I should write less and photograph more.

Honestly though, I’m not all bad. I am nice to airline employees (I used to be one myself) as well as horses and dogs and the occasional small child. I recently bought my 6 year old niece a big case of dolphin safe canned tuna for Christmas. The price at Costco was simply too good to pass up.

Four hours and thirty-eight minutes was the projected flying time to cover the 1980 miles between Detroit and Los Angeles. And what a great day for flying it was! Beautiful sun tinged clouds, clear views of the Colorado Rockies and smooth flying most of the way over to Los Angeles. As it turned out, a rare approach into LAX from the west resulted in a flight time of four hours and fifty-one minutes. Nobody complained.

Headwinds also resulted in a long flight up to Portland, two hours and twenty minutes to cover just 830 miles. Being as this was my 150th flight on a 737-800, I celebrated with a plate of pot stickers and not one, not two but three Alaskan Ambers.

January 27, 2010
Alaska Airlines Portland – Los Angeles 737-800 655a – 913a First Class
Northwest Airlines Los Angeles – Detroit A320-200 1100a – 628p Economy Class
Northwest Airlines Detroit – Tampa A319-100 830p – 1119p Economy Class

6:55am sure comes early, especially when you’ve been rousted at 5:00am by the Port of Portland Airport Police and told that your preferred sleeping spot is no longer appropriate. The problem is that most people who have to sleep over in the Portland airport stay in the lounges at the entrance to the A/B/C or D/E concourses. Those lounges offer well padded chairs, bright lights and lonely, bored people that’ll keep you awake as they talk on their cell phones all night. My spot, located just past the Horizon ticket counters and out the sliding doors on the way to employee parking, was essentially in a little area between sliding doors exiting the terminal and more doors leading to a stairway up to a parking area. The area between these doors was spacious enough to house three big wooden planters sporting some mighty impressive vegetation. Where I was sleeping was almost out of sight at the base of one planter underneath this big tree. Because there were no chairs or couches available, this area would likely be uncomfortable for anyone less prepared than I to sleep there. Remember, I’ve got a Thermarest pad, pillow, full wool blanket, etc. Unfortunately, because I was in an area not usually frequented by overnight travelers, I’d generated (unbeknownst to me) a lot of calls to the Airport Police by airport employees concerned that I might be a suspicious homeless person sleeping out there. This was especially possible since I’d spent a total of four nights there, including last night.

Two nights ago a couple of cops stopped by to make sure I had a valid reason to be in the airport, i.e. a boarding pass showing I’d flown in late that night or was flying out the next morning. I have absolutely no problem with this as airports occasionally attract pick-pockets, thieves and other garden variety pests of nefarious intent that have no business being in airports. Once, while sleeping in O’Hare back in the eighties, I had my wallet slit right out of my back pocket with a razor blade as I slept. I never felt a thing. Of course, I’d just come from three days with the Grateful Dead up at Alpine Valley and for a variety of reasons I hadn’t slept much during that time. I crashed hard at O’Hare.

In any event, the cops are just doing their job and unfortunately they had received so many calls about me (Remember, I’d managed four nights in that spot so far) that they were tired of dealing with them. I was told I could sleep anywhere within the confines of the main terminal, preferably in the lounges. As always, we had an interesting discussion about mileage running that left them scratching their heads but, after checking my ID and seeing that I haven’t had so much as a traffic ticket since 1991, I was deemed safe but eccentric. Just try to keep him calm. In any event, I reckon I’ll be looking for a new spot tomorrow night and while I’m at it I’ll probably drop in at the airport police headquarters and leave them a copy of my itinerary, something that in retrospect I probably should have done at the very beginning.

Moving on to today’s first flight between Portland and Los Angeles, I’ve posted another schedule from the November 15th, 1970 Official Airline Guide.

Portland to Los Angeles Schedule: November 15, 1970

First off, note the difference between the First Class and Coach fares. $16.00. Factoring in inflation, you’d probably multiply that by about five to get the equivalent amount in today’s money, so make it $80.00 difference. Checking today’s prices on Alaska Airlines, the difference between their most expensive coach fare and First Class is $40.00. However, the difference between the lowest coach fare on one day advance purchase and First Class is $75.00.

Secondly, note the aircraft, stops and meals. The Boeing 720B was designated B2F and it was a common sight on medium range routes. I used to fly Western 720s a lot between Denver and Phoenix. That four stop Hughes Airwest flight touched down in Klamath Falls, Sacramento, San Francisco and Monterey on its way to LAX. Finally, nobody went hungry back then. One of the better airline steaks I ever ate was served aboard a United DC-8 between Portland and San Francisco. I don’t believe even First Class rates anything more than a light snack on that route these days.

I returned to Los Angeles this morning aboard 737-800 N553AS, an airplane I’d flown five times previously. My disappointment was tempered substantially by a First Class upgrade and a delicious sun-dried tomato quiche. Three or four years ago I had a quiche on Alaska and it was pretty bad. The quiche I was served this morning had a flaky, nicely browned crust and I think would have been well received in many land based restaurants. My plate included two link sausages and some fruit.

AS PDX-LAX BREAKFAST: Sun Dried Tomato Quiche

What a gorgeous day in Los Angeles! Clear blue skies and lots of sunshine highlighted the Catalina Islands as we made a wide turn out over the Pacific before circling around and landing from the east. Taxiing in, we passed an A340 and a winglet equipped 767 from LAN. I thought LAN had only one flight per day into LAX. Perhaps LAN Argentina or LAN Peru also fly in.

Over at the Delta Sky Club, I took a shower and then printed off my boarding passes for tomorrow’s flights. I’m using my Continental Presidents Club card to gain access to the Sky Clubs but that will come to an end after January 31st. Until I sign on with Alaska’s Boardroom, I guess I’ll be slummin’ it in the gate lounge on my February Delta flights. Seeing as how the mileage running portion of this trip is over on February 4th, I won’t be too put out.

This midday flight to Detroit is my 200th flight on Northwest. While lots of WorldPerks members have logged that many flights and more under the red tail, I doubt very many of them have also logged over 200 flights on five other airlines. (Alaska, American, Delta, Eastern, United) US Airways is within 37 flights of joining that group. Continental is 68 flights away.

I gave away my window seat to an excited young lady who really wanted to see Las Vegas from the air because her grandmother lived there. Anybody who’s excited about flying, checking out the view, enjoying the service etc. is always welcome to my window seat. Unfortunately, air travel has become so commonplace these days that it’s become rare to find anyone older than about 10 who still finds it exciting.

The rest of the day proceeded apace. A two hour layover in Detroit, a Philly Cheese Steak dinner, phone calls and Internet time in the Sky Club followed by a two hour flight down to Tampa. It occurred to me as we departed Detroit at 8:30pm that tomorrow at this same time I’ll be departing Seattle at 5:30pm, arriving in Portland at 6:20pm as opposed to tonight’s arrival in Tampa at 11:19pm.

January 28, 2010
American Airlines Tampa – Miami 737-800 715a – 815a Economy Class
Alaska Airlines Miami – Seattle 737-800 1000a – 147p Coach Class
Horizon Airlines Seattle – Portland DHC-8-400 530p – 620p Economy Class

Back in November 1970, there were sixteen flights per day between Tampa and Miami that were operated with four engine jetliners.

Tampa to Miami Schedule: November 15, 1970

We’re talkin’ 707s, DC-8s, Convair 880s… Jet fuel prices were substantially lower and, as you can see from the schedule, the planes were flown at a faster speed than today’s jets. Also of interest is the number of multi-stop flights. National’s flight 453 departed Tampa at 7:00am and made stops in Sarasota and Ft. Myers, arriving Miami just an hour and forty-five minutes later. Somewhere along the line a snack was served to passengers in both cabins. Two years later, it was not uncommon to find wide-bodied DC-10s and L-1011s from National and Eastern flying the 200 mile hop between Tampa and Miami. In 1978, I flew an Eastern A300 between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, at only 20 miles quite possibly the shortest scheduled flight ever operated with wide-bodied equipment.

Early this morning I stepped aboard a nine year old 737-800 wearing the red, white and blue livery of American Airlines. Back in the early 1970s, American didn’t even fly to the state of Florida. Now AA is the largest carrier out of Miami. How times have changed…

My one hour and forty-five minute layover in Miami allowed plenty of time to visit one of my favorite breakfast eateries – the Top Of The Port Restaurant located high atop the Miami International Airport Hotel. A window seat at this fine establishment offers a superb view of the airport grounds, and it’s always fun to daydream that instead of looking out over all those silver American jetliners, I’m instead viewing DC-8s from National, Eastern and Delta, 707s from Pan American, Braniff and BWIA and maybe even a Caravelle from Air France’s services to Martinique and Haiti. Back to the present, I admired a beautiful Arrow Air DC-10 taxiing by and watched as a red and white Santa Barbara 757 pulled into the F Concourse. Then my Eggs Benedict arrived with a refill on that delicious coffee. Bon Apetite!

Thank goodness Alaska decided to reschedule its Seattle-Miami flights from those horrible red-eyes to a 1:00pm departure that arrives in Miami in time to connect to all the overnight flights to South America. The aircraft remains overnight in Miami and returns to Seattle at the civilized hour of 10:00am. Luncheon is served enroute.

Unless, that is, you’re sat in Steerage or Coach as we like to say in America. Alas, MVP Gold status notwithstanding on an Alaska issued fare, I was unable to procure a First Class upgrade and so it is that I report to you from seat 6D, offering me a clear view of all the proceedings in the forward cabin. The fortunate few started with a nice bowl of salad followed by good looking plates of chicken or pork. Here’s the menu:

LUNCHEON
Miami to Seattle

Appetizer Salad
Red Pepper Hummus Pitas
Served with Gourmet Mixed Greens
Balsamic Vinaigrette
Warmed Rolls with Butter

ENTREES

Braised Pork Shank

Accented with a savory sun-dried tomato relish and accompanied by
Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Steamed Asparagus

Chicken Marsala
Presented with Sautéed Mushroom and Caramelized Onion Sauce
Penne Pasta tossed with olive oil
Sautéed Green Beans

DESSERT

Crispy Bread Pudding

Tossed with Cinnamon Sugar and drizzled with Caramel Sauce
Topped with Blueberries and Strawberries

Coffee and Liqueurs

Flight time to Seattle was projected at six hours and one minute – more than enough time to peruse the Alaska Airlines magazine in search of food options and maybe even complete the crossword puzzle. And what about wi-fi? Lots of other airlines have it now. At the bottom of the Inflight Entertainment page is an informational blurb about Alaska testing a satellite based Internet service. A six hour flight would be perfect for some Internet time! The Inflight Entertainment page goes on to say that flight attendants will make an announcement as to whether your aircraft is wi-fi equipped. Oh goody! Hopefully one of these new 737-800s will have the wi-fi!

Alas, nothing could be farther from the truth. What Alaska’s Inflight Entertainment page doesn’t tell us is that only one aircraft out of a fleet of over 110 is wi-fi equipped, making the odds that your aircraft will offer wi-fi Internet access so infinitesimally small as to be unworthy of comment. In fact, from what I hear, Alaska Airlines has had so many technical problems with their current Internet provider that they’re thinking of dropping them and going with GoGo, the current provider for American and Delta and others. In any event, wide spread Internet access across a large enough portion of Alaska’s fleet to be worthy of the current informational write up is at best months away, making the current write up, as written, at best disingenuous. At present, if you’re flying one of Alaska’s 737-400s, 800s or 900s, the aircraft that make up the bulk of the fleet, there is zero chance that you will have wi-fi access. If you are flying aboard a 737-700, you’ll have about a 5% chance of getting wi-fi as only ship 644 is so equipped. Here is a list of today’s wi-fi operated flights across Alaska’s system.

Until they get their act together, perhaps Alaska Airlines should limit any mention of wi-fi aboard its aircraft to the one aircraft that actually offers it.

In Seattle, I considered standing by for the 6:00pm CRJ down to Portland but given the crowd of people already standing by for my flight I decided to stick with my ticketed 5:30pm departure. Imagine then my disappointment to see that the CRJ operating the 6:00pm flight was none other than ship 616, the Washington State liveried aircraft and the only one of the collegiate series that I’ve not yet flown. Oh well. I’ve got three more flights aboard the CRJs coming up in the next few days, so maybe I’ll get lucky.

As for tonight, I’ve decided to splurge and get a hotel for the night. My 6:20pm arrival coupled with a relatively late 8:30am start tomorrow morning provides more than enough time to actually utilize the hotel facilities in addition to enjoying its amenities and a comfortable night’s sleep. Through Priceline I bid $35.00 for a three star hotel and got a night at the Airport Holiday Inn.

Dinner and a baseball game on ESPN Classic closed out the evening. By 10:30pm I was sound asleep.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 11, 2010 at 11:18 am