FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ATM surcharges on cards issued by non-Thailand banks (THB150-220 per transaction)
Old Feb 6, 2010, 10:55 pm
lomatopo

Originally Posted by PETEFLYS
Ok I am tired of the ATM fees! THis may be a little off topic but does anyone know how difficult it is to open a bank account with debit card in Thailand for a US citizen. I figure I have a permanent Thai phone number and Skytrain Card I would like to open an account there. Which bank would be the easiest to transfer funds in and out from the US or internet?
Unless you live in Thailand more than 6 months in a year I would not recommend getting a local bank account. It will be more hassle than you can imagine to manage, you will get hit with some local fees (annual ATM fee, ATM fees outside your home bank, wire xfer costs) and pretty much zero interest.

I’d recommend getting a free debit Visa card in the U.S., especially one which has no foreign ATM fees, or reimburses for them (credit union, Schwab) or another Visa debit card (Fidelity; no foreign ATM fee) and then using an AEON ATM. Or bring cash or Travelers Checks.

If you must have a local account you can try the Bangkok Bank branch on Sukhumvit Road between Sois 6 and 8. Go upstairs, bring your passport, and they may allow you to open an account, even though by most accounts it is not permitted without a visa and work permit. Bangkok Bank charges 300 THB per year for ATM fees, which lets you use any ATM up to some threshold, then you start paying for using a non BB ATM (or a BB ATM outside of Bangkok), ~ 25 THB.

I have accounts at SCB and BB, and use a Fidelity Visa debit card at AEON ATMs. I sometimes wire xfer money from the U.S. via BB.

Last edited by lomatopo; Feb 7, 2010 at 2:42 am