FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting selected anyway, should I refuse to show ID?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 2:53 pm
SATTSO

Originally Posted by Superguy
Techincally, TSA thinks that any court doesn't have jurisdiction over them.

I wouldn't place a lot of faith in TSA's lawyers though. Francine has screwed up cases (almost blew the Moussaoui case) and clearly shows a lack of understanding for the law. Her deputy doesn't seem to be any better. In many cases, a lot of gov't lawyers aren't there to determine if a practice is legal but how it can be defended if challenged.
I have NOT read mos of the court cases involving TSA. In fact, I have read only a dozen or so. So I am not an expert. I can remember from some of the cases that I have read from the lower courts, TSA has clearly stated their opinion such courts did not have jurisdiction, thus TSA has refused to allow the court access to SOP. In higher courts, TSA has allowed access to SOP in private, as thy have argued such courts do hae jurisdiction.

Can you please site to me where TSA has stated courts in general, no matter their stature, do not have jurisdiction. I am interested in reading their opinion why; and just to let you know, if TSA has made such annartument, I disagree.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I always wondered about lawyers and such working for government.

In private practice it would seem the sky is the limit money wise. However, signing on with government has definite, while very generous, limits on income.
There are other reasons. This is my first government job. To an extent, it shocked me. The benefits are quiet amazing; much better than I ever received in private industry (not a lawyer; worked in the insurance industry, finished in the government affairs office of a large insurance company). Incredible time off each year, great medical, very good retirement.

A quick story: when I first started my shift ended and we would still be busy, even though the new shift was now on. I would stay to help with the shif change, maybe 10 to 20 minutes. When the supervisors found ou I was doing this, I was told - very pleasantly, I might add - that though the extra help was appreciated, my shift was over and I had to leave. I had put in my hours, the day was over. Huh. That took a while getting used to, but now I like the fact that when they day is over, it's over. Gone are the 12 hour days, working extra on the weekends... I've learned it's nice to rest, sometimes. But don't call me lazy!! I still work as hard as I can while I am here. But you can see why some people might perfer that. It's all about externalities.

Originally Posted by JSmith1969
Ah, yes, because TSA thinks there's a difference between someone who's lost ID and someone who declines to show ID. Why is TSA so stupid, anyway?
Someone else on this thread stated the differences, so I won't repeat. Be sure to read every post here to learn the differences.

Last edited by Cholula; Feb 6, 2010 at 8:49 pm Reason: Merging multiple, successive posts