FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [9W] Mumbai airport 6 hour layover - Please help, first time travelers
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:44 am
Maxwell Smart

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by logirl
Thanks rsh913! Thats very helpful.
Our domestic flight is with Jet but its booked as a separate ticket as we have a different e-ticket number for it. I presume they won't help us out with transfer then.

We also don't know yet which terminal our flight will be from 1a or 1b at the domestic airport. Will the Clipper Lounge allow Economy passengers? We are flying economy all the way and don't have a priority pass but will be more than happy to pay 500 rupees. Thanks in advance!
In case you haven't left on your trip yet---

Here is our experience from mid-December. It's certainly not a direct airside-airside transfer, but not a totally external one either, since you never leave airport property and don't enter the domestic terminal through a 'public' entrance.

We arrived into BOM on Lufthansa at approx 2:00am, with a totally separate ticket on Jet for BOM-HYD departing at 6:30am. After clearing immigration/customs, we turned left and went to the Jet Airways transfer desk, checked in our bags and received our boarding passes for BOM-HYD. Just past the transfer desk was the seating area for the transfer bus to the domestic terminal. A bus just departed as we got there, so waited for the next one, about 15-20 min I think. Our boarding passes were checked before we were allowed on the bus. (one funny thing- some airport workers were also riding the bus, and they were subject to a hand-wanding metal detector and/or patdown prior to boarding, but not the passengers!)

Upon arrival at the domestic terminal, I believe they make 2 stops, first at 1B then 1A. Since we were going on Jet (thus out of 1B) we got off at the first stop (I assume they then continue to 1A). To be safe, I suggest you confirm as you are getting off the bus that it is the correct stop for Jet Airways flights.

I think we basically entered the terminal into the arrivals area, same place as domestic arriving pax would enter, walked by the luggage carousels, and then just followed the signs towards departures. So you won't be entering the terminal through the "main entrance", but through the arrivals area, thus there is no guard checking documents to enter the building.

The whole checkin area was open, but fairly empty (4:00am). A couple of small vendors were open on the main floor, as was the coffee shop (Barista, I think) on the 2nd floor at the far end of the terminal. We hung out in the coffee shop for a while, then went through security, and awaited our next flight. Overall, a very smooth transfer.