FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using cpap on-board flight
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:37 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alsacienne
2. Read up on the rules for your airline or ask. At the time of writing,

BA didn't allow the use of CPAPs in WT+ using their mains power points because the machines supposedly draw more than computer laptops from the power supply available (so it's no use paying extra for the privilege of a plug!). They have no objection to you using them in any class as long as you are using an independent battery.

I have found that using a laptop battery gives me 5.5 hours charge for using a CPAP at 13 mB pressure - sufficient for a short transatlantic flight plus meals. Recharge time is 3 hours.
Tnanks for your detailed input with lots of good advice.
I don't see how they can say that a CPAP draws more power than a laptop. My CPAP's power adapter has an input of 1.2 Amp max at 100-240 V (A.C.) with an output of 4.16 Amps at 12 V (D.C.), while my netbook's power adapter has the same input as the CPAP and output of 2 Amp at 20V. Bigger laptops with an optical drive will consume more power. My Toshiba power adapter has an input of 100-240 V at 1,8 Amp and an output of 3.42 Amp at 19 V. I have tried to reason this point with NW people without any success. I don't think laptops use any shielding or more shielding than CPAP. I am inclined to think it's just because no one has produced documentation to the airlines about power usage of CPAP, they are skeptical and can get away with disallowing powering CPAP from aircraft power as the number of people wanting to use their laptop far exceeds those wanting to use CPAP on aircraft.

I use similar pressure as yours 14 cm of water (14 mb). How do you draw power from your laptop battery? is there an adapter you use? I have a laptop battery from an expired (dead) laptop. How would I charge it without the laptop?