FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using cpap on-board flight
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:38 am
Alsacienne

I have been using a CPAP for the last 10 years or so and find that it is becoming more and more complicated to use a CPAP on longhaul thanks to the rise in would-be air terrorist technology. The following pointers may help.

1. ALWAYS carry your machine in your handbaggage ...... even if you then need to put other things in the hold. That way you are never separated from your machine - even if your luggage goes on a voyage of its own - and do not risk your machine being thrown by baggage handlers (sorry baggage handlers but it does happen and I've actually seen this myself) or falling off the loading ramp between the plane and the truck (again I've seen this for myself).

2. Read up on the rules for your airline or ask. At the time of writing,

BA didn't allow the use of CPAPs in WT+ using their mains power points because the machines supposedly draw more than computer laptops from the power supply available (so it's no use paying extra for the privilege of a plug!). They have no objection to you using them in any class as long as you are using an independent battery.

AF allow their use, but solely on battery and the make and model of your CPAP has to be declared at the time of ticket purchase and then agreed as being suitable for use inflight (YES even with a battery power source).

AC seem relatively clued up on their website, and it would seem that you can use mains power ............... but, once you get on board, you may need a battery pack anyway because they start to use the argument above, as exemplified by BA.

Note that some BA planes still use EMPOWER sockets which need a special plug. It's worth looking at www.seatguru.com in my experience to see if your plane has a plug at your seat and what type of power is supplied.

I have found that using a laptop battery gives me 5.5 hours charge for using a CPAP at 13 mB pressure - sufficient for a short transatlantic flight plus meals. Recharge time is 3 hours.

Incidentally BA in SFO were the most paranoid ground staff I've ever met (2007) and whose flapping resulted in great personal distress and 19 days of lost baggage, because of their insistence that my CPAP was not allowed as hand baggage as they said it would explode inflight (!!!!), and my insistance (backed by the Homeland Security team THANKS FOLKS!!!) that it was in no way dangerous and that I would not be separated from it. It travelled with me, I used it in flight and I and the other members of the public and crew using that service are still alive to tell the tale.

Please make sure that you check with your airline before you travel.

So in short:

Take enough battery power to last you in case of lack of power (because your seat power point is never guaranteed to be in service ... little catch-all clause in the T&C ...) and the right adapter for your flight and your destination.

Take an extension lead, because invariably the plugs in your hotel room are on the wall opposite the bed, and I can't be bothered every time to change the layout of the room and move the bed to get to the power point ........ plus you get to see what's never been vacuumed from underneath the bed and that isn't a pretty sight.

Take a letter from your doctor (on headed paper) stating that you have been medically prescribed CPAP treatment and for health reasons, you need to have it available at all times.

I often explain to those sharing a row with me about my CPAP before I use it, so that noone panics when they see me using a mask. I also inform the cabin crew member serving my part of the cabin out of courtesy, and found that they appreciate it ... and can wake me if I don't hear landing announcements etc because once I've got the gear on, I usually sleep very well!

Good luck, sleep well and happy landings!